Friday, April 1, 2011

WaCkY wEdNeSdAy!! April Fools! It's Freaky Friday!

It's been awhile since I've posted any games that were Wacky Wednesday worthy.  Thankfully it's mostly because I haven't had any of those totally absurd games that left me scratching my head and saying "What was I thinking?". Unfortunately that streak came to a crashing end with this butt ass ugly miniature played on Monday.

DGarrett-pw032811.pgn


I wish I could end this post with "This didn't really happen. Aprils Fools!", but unfortunately it really did happen.  I don't know where my brain was at that point.  Maybe I was too busy thinking about Sunday's games or the Club Championship make up games that were being played that night.  I can't blame it on time trouble.  As the expression goes "$4!# happens!"  I guess every once in awhile I need one of those types of games to remind me that I need to work on my openings and tactics.

7 comments:

LinuxGuy said...

It seems like that hypothetical line with 8..Nb6, Black is still losing a pawn at the end of it with 11.dxc Nd5, 12.Qa3

I wonder what ECO says about that ..Bg4 line. I think it's probably dubious. I've played it before, for example ..c6, ..Qc8, but that queen is somewhat vulnerable there to a Rc1 Nxd5 tactic. ..dxc doesn't seem to change the predicament, and ..BxN, gxf is probably good for White. Dunno.

I didn't see ...Nb6 either, thought you were just losing a piece all of a sudden, once I noticed it.

Definitely, one does not want to try ..Bg4 for the first time, while blitzing. ;-D I lost a bunch of blitz games that way before it sunk in, because even if you had d7 covered it means no castling (king can't leave), and White can play Bg5-BxNf6 (removing a d7 defender) even if you had left the knight there (after e4, but a pawn sac there is probably no big deal if it gets after the king).

quickturtle said...

Polly, what camera do you use to take pics for your site ? Great blog you got here ....

From the patzer said...

Looks like a butchered french opening but it is the setup of the Slav. I think theory is 5. ... c6 instead of c5. Not sure, but that is how I always play it.

Luc said...

The fifth move c5 is optimistic and 7 ... Nc6 falls into the trap .
I think 7 ... Nd7 was the only move .
Anyway, it reminds us it would be helpful to learn a little about openings.

Liquid Egg Product said...

Not related to the post, but it's a pleasure to read your articles for Chess Life (just got around to reading April yesterday!)

Polly said...

Quick: I have a Canon 7D. It's several steps up from the Canon Rebel series, and right below the professional series. It's a nice camera and I'm still trying to figure out everything I can do with it.

Tiger & Luc: I clearly mangled the opening badly. c6 was definitely better then c5. I should have played Nd7 and let White win the pawn. It was simply a case of overlooking the tactical implications the pin of the c6 knight.

Polly said...

LEP: I'm glad you liked the article. It did get chopped a bit, but that's what happens when there are space issues. AS is the case with my blogging, sometimes I just don't know how to keep things short.