Saturday, March 1, 2008

Tournament of LEPers Rd 3: Dynamic Duo


Not Batman and Robin! I had my fill of Batman on Thursday. I still am feeling the affects of this miserable cold, but compared to Thursday I'm the picture of health. That's not saying a whole lot since I felt like total bat poop that day. You know I'm feeling lousy when I willingly pass up my Thursday night cracktion fix at the Marshall Chess Club. I'm surprised the calvary isn't knocking down my door wondering where I've been the last two Thursdays. I guess I better show my face next week before they file a missing person's report.

Back to today's game. The painting above should give a hint of what pair I'm speaking of. The funny thing was I kept offering to trade off bishops and Wahrheit kept refusing my kind offers. This was one of those games that was a yawner for the most part. It wasn't until the queens were traded that things opened up for me. I don't think either of us had our A game going. He hung pawns several times and I didn't notice. I'm glad when I put my moves into Fritz it doesn't sit there and say "Yo butthead! Why didn't ya take the free pawn?"



If I keep this up, I may actually start to like playing chess online. I guess next week I get to try to scramble up some eggs. Would ya like hash browns and pork product with that?

9 comments:

Glenn Wilson said...

If Fritz didn't offer it up as a line I must be missing something, but what's wrong with 18. ...g5 19. Be5 f6 winning the bishop for a pawn? (Or same idea on move 20?).

Ok..., I guess 20. Bxf6 Bxf6 21. Nxd5 Bxd4? 22. Qxd4 Nxf4 23. Nf6+? Yeah, but surely black has better than that "fantasy line"?

I'll be back after some coffee and Fritz ...

Interesting game. Nice win.

To paraphrase the theatrical good luck saying, in your game next week: "Break an egg."

Glenn Wilson said...

Hmm, ok. First my "fantasy line" should go:
18...g5 19.Be5 f6 20.Bxf6 Bxf6 21.Nxd5 Bxd4 22.Qxd4? Nxd4! 23.Nf6+ Kg6 24.Nxd7?? Nxe2#. Cool, I overlooked that white can't win the Q because of the mate with Nxe2 (but white can vary earlier). But 18. ...Nxd4 is better than 18. ... g5 because it keeps ...g5 as a option winning the bishop without the need for f6.

But 20. ..f6 is better than 20. ...Nxe5 with a likely continuation of 20...f6 21.b5 axb5 22.Qd3+ Kh8 23.Bxc7 Rxc7

None of this is easy to sort even with Fritz much less OTB.

Polly said...

Glenn: Thanks for some really interesting analysis. I don't think I would have ever found that crazy like ending with the mate on e2.

I love "Break an egg." Sounds like a punch line for a joke that might go something like this. "What did one chicken say to another before crossing Broadway?"

wang said...

Hmmm...eggs and meat like products...I'm talkin SPAM here!

Good luck with your scrambled eggs.

Polly said...

Spam in my blog? And I thought the word verification took care of that. :-Þ I guess I will have make the poachers eggxit the premises.

Anonymous said...

If you want to upgrade your breakfast value meal from coffee to orange juice, it'll cost you extra.

Bring it on.

(Although looking at this game it's clear you have the capability to whip up a pretty good omelet.)

Robert Pearson said...

My take on the game in my new post: I didn't "have any ideas," and you pummeled me!

drunknknite said...

'I have problems finding a good square for the c8 bishop.'

Nice comment. One of the things I realized while I was going through Kasparov's My Great Predecessor series was how much the play in queen pawn openings depends on the development of Black's light-squared bishop, this was a good practical way to solve that problem. After exd5 however it is important to reinforce the d pawn, as this is where play can be generated, you should try to play c6 in these kinds of positions, the knight should go to b5 or e6, or maybe even f5. Moves like a6, Na7, c6, Nb5-c7-e6 or even just Qd7, Nd8-e6 with c6 keep the pressure on the d pawn and eliminate any chance of a minority attack on the queenside.

Once the position opened up for your two bishops it's all over.

transformation said...

nice going Poly!