Friday, August 8, 2008

US Open Round 6: Who Do I Need to Call??

Ghost Busters!!

Last night's round six disaster was a classic case of seeing things that weren't there. I think I'm getting mated if I accept his rook sacrifice. I was seeing ghosts. All he has is a perpetual. I would have been happy to take a draw in that position.

It's actually a very interesting position with both of us having minor pieces on outpost squares. His knight was pinned, but my unwillingness to give up the pin probably played a part in my eventual demise.

wayneb-pollyw080708.pgn




Can you find the mate in 8 if I sac the queen on e6? Select the text between the parenthesis to see it.

( 37...Qxe6 38. Nxe6+ Ke8 39. Rxd5 Bxd5 40. Qxf5 Bxe6 41. Qxe6 Kd8 42. Rg8+ Kc7 43. Rxc8+ Kb7 44. Qc6+ Ka7 45. Ra8# )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Polly,

I am not sure how tactically sound this is but I found a mate in 5 moves with two different ways of going about it. How does it look? I haven't checked this with a computer yet...


1... Qxe6 2. Nxe6+ Ke8 3. Rg8+ Kd7 (3... Kf7 4. Qxh6 Rxd2
5. Qg6#) 4. Rxc8 Kxc8 5. Qc7# *

TommyG

Polly said...

There are shorter mates if black plays the worst moves. The mate in 8 was based on best defense by black.