Saturday, June 12, 2010

National Open - Rd 2

In my efforts to provide tournament news along with my own adventures, sometimes I go too far, or maybe not far enough.  I very carefully researched where all the players who won in the simul were from and what their ratings were.  In my report I made the somewhat tongue in cheek comment "I might have to study Quander's game since he's in my section."  Maybe I should have taken the time to look at the game, because I ended out playing him in round two.  Even better might have been not looking up the results of the simuls.  Maybe knowing a little less about my opponent would have been better under the circumstances.

I tried not to let the fact that he beat Zatonskih psych me out, or effect my play against him.  However I think I was already writing the story in my mind while we were playing.  It also didn't help my mental state when he opened 1. d4.  I spent a lot of time on my moves, but sometimes at the slow controls my mind gets too bogged down in the analysis.  I start seeing things that aren't really there, and then get steered away from what is there.  I spent 12 minutes on move 13 which wasn't a great move, but it also wasn't as bad as I thought it was.  I spent another 7 minutes on move 14, which was clearly the losing move.  If anyone was following the game live on Mon Roi they would have thought that I took no time on the crucial 14th move.  That's because I stopped recording on my unit for a few moves, and then put them in afterward.

Here's the game.


KQuander-pw061110.pgn


Tomorrow is another day.  Hopefully I can get a little better sleep tonight.  The two day schedule starts tomorrow.  Thankfully I am not playing in that madness.  

1 comment:

From the patzer said...

Your opponent played a good game so i wouldn't be to sad about this loss. Atleast you know what you did wrong so that you can avoid it in the future.